When I wrote my original post on the 10 Thoughts That Cross My Mind in Yoga, I immediately received a request from one of my favorite spin instructors, Tiffany L. for my thoughts during spin class. Now spin is a little different for me compared to yoga-- I've been doing it for 6 years, I teach spin myself, and even though it kicks my ass every.single.time, because its something I'm good at, its almost easier than yoga. That doesn't mean my mind doesn't wander though, and here are 10 thoughts that cross my mind when I'm taking a spin class (a little context: I'm usually at a 6:30 am class, so this is pretty early in the morning)
1. UGH this is SO EARLY --- if I close my eyes through the warm up, what are the chances I can let my body think I'm still asleep?
2. WE'RE SPRINTING!!! Breathe Breathe Breathe-- oh, this doesn't feel so bad… (60 seconds later) I lied, my legs are ON FIRE
3. When is she going to turn on the fans? SWEET JESUS TURN ON THE FANS!!!
4. OOOH there's Missy/Janet --- TURN UP THE VOLUME!! what feels like 15 minutes later….These ladies just keep singing…. END.THE.SONG.
5. Still sprinting?! Oh my God, when does this end?
6. Finally a hill- at least I can catch my breath
7. I really love the 90s. These throwback jams are MY JAM!!!
8. Weights. I really hate these shoulder exercises. WHY ARE 3LB WEIGHTS SO HEAVY?!?!
9. Sprint home!! Let's do this!!!!
10. As I'm walking out all sweaty If I get a juice right now, does that make me completely basic?
I really love spin -- it is, by far, my favorite workout. And honestly, its because I'm friends with the instructors, a lot of friends attend the same classes I do, and I've made friends in class! And even though our interaction is usually brief (I'm chronically late), its nice to see friendly faces. And I love the music and the atmosphere.
I will say this to any newbie rider: it is tough. You will definitely have saddle soreness, and probably feel like you're dying. All of that is perfectly normal, and perfectly fine and honestly, if I take two weeks off, it feels like I'm starting over all over again too. Don't sweat it--you're doing great.
Now, who will I see on a bike next to me?